Margaret York MACGREGOR, 1823-1901
York Macgregor was born on the 20th April 1823 in Barony, Lanarkshire. She
was the eldest daughter of
York and Janet
Masterton who married on 11th July 1819 in Barony. She had four brothers and
the 9th of March 1851 Margaret married John
Macgregor, partner of Tod and Macgregor
and widower of Margaret
Fleming. John was born on 24th August 1802 in Fintry, Stirlingshire. He was
the fourth son of James
Macgregor a clockmaker and Annie
this time John Macgregor was at
the peak of his success, the shipyard was profitable and he was able to buy
property. He bought Meadowside House in Partick and Finnart House on the banks
of Loch Long. Finnart was a substantial house with servants’ quarters
and a number of large reception rooms. He and Margaret lived there and their son
WY Macgregor, later an artist
and member of the group of artists known as the “Glasgow Boys”, was born
the 19th Century
had two children with John
Macgregor, they were:
York Macgregor born Finnart, Dunbartonshire, 14th October 1855;
died Oban, 28th September 1923
21st February 1857 at Partick; Died Hove, Sussex 22nd April 1901
husband’s life was cut short by what might be a curable problem today. He died
on the 6th of September 1858, leaving her a widow at 35 years of age.
In 1861 she was found at 19 Park Street West, Glasgow with her two children plus John and Margaret.
In the 1881 census she was found at 3 Park Street West, Glasgow, also living there were her son William York Macgregor, her stepdaughter Janet Macgregor and her nephew William Yorke. Park Street west was later re-named Park Gate.
after this Margaret moved to Albyn Lodge, Bridge of Allen and lived with her son WY
Macgregor and stepdaughter Janet
Macgregor. They were at this address at the 1891 & 1901 censuses.
They were at this address at the 1891 & 1901 censuses.
Margaret York Macgregor lived until 22nd April 1901 when she died at Bridge of Allan, aged 78 years. She died just hours after her second son Peter died in Hove at 44 years old. Her memorial stone is to be found in the Glasgow Necropolis: